Saturday, October 31, 2009

AMISH SLUTS

SCOTIA WIDOWS is another band that Kirk of SICK/TIRED plays in. if you expect them to be another FASTCORE / HARDCORE band like MK-ULTRA, SICK/TIRED, etc. let me tell you: you are wrong! in Kirk's own words: "Scotia Widows is basically me from mk-ultra with the drummer and guitarist from Pedestrians and the girl singing is from a lesser known chicago band called Venom Lords. Also, the "male" vocals are me singing. We have gotten comparisons to old Dangerhouse bands and Husker Du. It seems like a fair comparison." I guess I agree. but nevertheless SCOTIA WIDOWS are still a strange beast as there are some points where music and vocals seem to so far apart from one another that this must also be the reason that they still connect somehow. as I got a weak spot for female vocals I like it a lot! the physical copies of the CD-R were ltd. to 100 if you didn't get one click the pic for an mp3 rip of the demo.

7 comments:

  1. downloading now
    wonder if population 1 is a reference to that 80s movie with the people from the screamers (la,ca,usa) in it.
    i have never seen it but i love the original 70s punk history so much i have heard about it.
    thanks for this
    peace
    ray ss

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this. proper bitrate and cover-scans are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ rayss:

    hm, you got me on that one. I didn't think of the movie till you mentioned it! interesting question. a question as interesting: on whom does their vocalist remind me? it's driving me mad cause I just can't nail it down!

    @ xYURIx & draber: thanks for your comments! any help in case of the singer's voice would be highly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds like it could be pretty awesome i love mk-ultra and with every year that passes since i first heard husker du (10 i think?) i love them more truly one of my favorite bands of all time... lookin forward to checkin this out

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, I guess HÜSKER DÜ is closer to them than MK-ULTRA (which are one of my all time faves too)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. not bad at all! a little more diversity wouldn't hurt them though. i'm curious what they are gonna evolve into in the future! they could belt out some interesting records... as for vocalist - she kinda reminds me of exene from x a bit at certain moments...
    roman

    ReplyDelete